Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Don't be so hard on yourself.

On the other hand --

They say that you can determine your own love languages by how you treat other people, but I don't necessarily think that is true for me. My love languages are physical touch and quality time, and while obviously I like sharing those with people I care about, those are not the easiest and most gratifying ways for me to express my love. I feel most rewarded when I am able to show my affection by giving gifts, or taking care of the person I care about. I get a lot more genuine enjoyment out of giving gifts than receiving them, and when I was little I even used to wrap my own belongings in my blankets or wrapping paper just so I could give them as "presents" to my family, for no occasion at all.

I also really like when the person I care about lets me take care of them, especially when they are sick or hurt. I think it's the kind of motherly compulsion I have. Taking care of someone gives me a sense of worth and affirmation. However, I don't really feel a strong need to be taken care of when I am sick, so I don't think it is as important to me to receive that care than it is to give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment